In 1899, the Bernhard Friedrich house, which was bought for $250, became the first school. This first school was private. The Pecan Creek School #29 is located on a three-acre plot in the north central part of Gillespie County. In 1916, land was donated by school patrons. Other patrons donated materials and labor. The original house was moved in parts and rebuilt. The original building is one big room with windows on the south side, and the entrance, with an enclosed cloakroom, is on the east side. The building is constructed of wood, with siding having been added later. The floors are pine and the ceiling is of beaded board. In 1936, an open shed was attached to the school building. At that time, a stage and dance floor was included which was later improved. Today there is a permanent 15' x 20' stage with a walkway around the back wall. The stage curtain, still in place, displays many early-day Gillespie County merchant advertisements. Blackboards cover part of the west and north sides of the room, and a wood burning stove stands near the back east side. On the east wall, there is a bookcase.
Also still standing, about thirty yards west of the school, is an outdoor toilet for girls. The boys' outhouse stands 60 yards to the south. A rainwater cistern for drinking water, which is no longer in use, was added in 1934 on the north side. Double desks, purchased in 1935, are still in the classroom, as are a world globe purchased in 1936, and a dust-proof map case containing nine maps purchased for $43.62 in 1938.
In 1988, one hundred five years after the beginning of school in the Pecan Creek area, a reunion was held. Six former teachers and 83 former students attended. Mrs. Albert Menske (Hilda Crenwelge), a former student, was the oldest at 94 years old.
The Pecan Creek Community Club meets in the afternoon on the second Sunday of every month. Games of Texas "42", High 5 and Pinochle are played, with refreshments served after a short meeting. An annual picnic or fish fry is also held each summer on the school grounds.