Nebgen School District #33 was located near the Gillespie and Blanco County boundary. In 1881, the first school, of logs, was built on land donated by the Truman Taylor family. It was called Smith Valley School. In 1901, another school was built 150 yards from the first and named Lindemann School, since the Lindemann family had the largest number of children enrolled. Several years later it was renamed Nebgen School.
The Nebgen School was rebuilt in 1936. The one room, frame building had an embossed tin exterior, a tin roof, a stone chimney, one door and many windows. The north interior wall was covered with blackboards. The water supply came from a cistern. When electricity later came to the community, lights replaced the gas or kerosene lanterns. Lessons were taught from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. and students brought their lunches from home. The students also provided janitorial services.
A common feature in Gillespie County schools was the "Schulprüf-ung", a school examination held publicly at the close of the school year. The exam was announced several weeks ahead of time. On the specified day, the children, parents, and friends gathered at the school. It was an all day affair, with the following evening festivities going far into the night. All were dressed in their finest. As was the custom, a guest teacher conducted the exam; it was also expected for this teacher to decline. Usually, an arbor was constructed outside the school and benches were set up. Each class had its turn in every subject. Most of the examination was oral, except for arithmetic, which was done on slates and shown to the guests. After the exam, a program was given by the students. At dusk, the school room was converted into a ball room and dancing began.
A choir of 12 was organized in 1935, bringing togetherness and enjoyment to the community. In 1949, this school was consolidated with the Stonewall School district. In 1946, a community club was organized and named "The Nebgen Bee Community Club". The club remained active with 40 members until 1990. Today, the school is badly in need of preservation to again show its importance to present and future generations.