In 1871, Luckenbach trustees voted to buy 1-1/3 acres on the west bank of South Grape Creek from Juliane Wehmeyer for $50. Until 1871, the Lower South Grape Creek School District had been part of the Luckenbach School District. Luckenbach Precinct #3 covered Luckenbach, Grapetown, South Grape Creek, and Grape Hill until 1889. Some of the early settlers listed in the precinct's history included Peter Burg, Eramus Frantzen, L.F. Toepperwein, Friedrich Scharnhorst, J.M. Hunter, John Blank, G.J. Weber, Ferdinand Gellermann and William Feller. These families lived along South Grape Creek between Luckenbach and the Pedernales River to the north. The first schoolhouse, built by the community, was a log cabin.
Theodor Huelsemann was the teacher between 1875 and 1880. On May 12, 1889, the school on South Grape Creek was named Lower South Grape Creek School, District #21. It was so named because the Grapetown School had, at one time, been named Upper South Grape Creek School.
The need for a better, more accessible school arose, so in 1900, the trustees sold the original land and bought an acre of land from Charles and Martha Ahrens for $5. This site was located less than a mile and a half north, along Grape Creek and next to the Austin Highway. The new, cut limestone block, single room schoolhouse was completed in 1901. It had a tin roof, with a bell tower on the east end, and a chimney on the west end. In later years, a large porch and a smaller porch with concrete slab were added. Through the years, the finer things in life were added, including electricity, a new well and pump, drinking fountains on the porch and new modern restrooms that replaced the old outhouses.
The last year classes were held in this little country schoolhouse was 1960. Due tolow enrollment, the trustees voted to consolidate with the Fredericksburg School District. School closing plays were performed on the large porch. In earlier years, they had been held across the river on the Kusenberger place on a wooden platform built for the stage. Later, they had been held at Weinheimer's Hall and at Luckenbach Hall.
The first community club was organized in 1960. It includes third and fourth generations of former students and neighbors. The members meet every fourth Thursday to play "42" and have refreshments. The restored building is used for weddings, reunions, meetings, and other community activities.