In 1865, John Ebert deeded eight acres for a school. Organized in 1870, the school was named Cave Creek, for a nearby creek which had some natural caves. The one-room school was finished in 1881, just in time for school in September. The wood stove in the middle of the building is still in use today. Students cleaned the schoolhouse and carried in wood. They traveled to school on foot or by donkey.
Along with the natural caves in the area, there is also a man-made one in a creek bed not far from the school. It was dug and inhabited by a hermit named Berg. The story is that he made whiskey and sold it in the area. Not knowing much about laws, he was told his activities were illegal and not to get caught. The students ate Cave Creek often toured Berg's Cave.
James A. Larson was the first teacher at Cave Creek. In the 68 years of the school's history, there were 20 teachers. A record of 82 students attended in 1917, when Miss Cora Hahn was the teacher. Some time in the late 1920's or early 1930's, a stage and pavilion were built. The school was closed in 1950 when it was consolidated with Fredericksburg.
School closings in May were community affairs and always well attended. Entertainment included the children's program and graduation in the afternoon. For the evening meal, some of the men cooked B-B-Q, which was sold by the pound. Families brought side dishes; blankets were laid on the ground for a picnic. Adults who had attended Cave Creek School as children presented a play in the evening. A dance later followed in the pavilion.
The Cave Creek Community Club meets once a month on the third Friday. Members enjoy games of pinochle and refreshments. The school has been used as a precinct polling place since 1889, and it is also the clubhouse for the Cave Creek 4-H club.