Fredericksburg United Methodist Church was originally two branches, the Methodist Episcopal Church South and the Methodist Episcopal Church North. The two branches later merged to become today's United Methodist Church.
Southern Methodist Church
Pastor Eduard Schneider organized the Fredericksburg congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church South in the year 1849. The first worship services were held in the Immigration Society’s building, which was later purchased by the congregation. In 1855, a new sanctuary, a stone structure, forty feet by sixty feet, was erected. Pastor C. A. Grote served the church at this time and devoted much of his time and energy toward the completion of the building. Some years later, a spacious parsonage was built of stone masonry.
The early congregation suffered heavy losses in membership. Many moved elsewhere, principally to the Llano River Valley, and then, after the Civil War, a large number of the membership transferred to the northern branch of the Methodist Church.
According to church records, since the founding of the church, the following pastors have served the congregation: Eduard Schneider, C. A. Grote, J. C. Kopp, H. Bauer, Fr. Vordenbaeumen, J. F. Bruno, C. Pluenneke, F. Mumme, J. Kern, F. M. Henschel, H. Haas, G. Buchschacher, W. Knolle, J. A. Schaper, G. Gerdes, D. Schrimpf, A. Scheurich, C. Frentzel, J. Bader. A total of 396 baptisms, 39 marriages, and 21 deaths are on record.
The Gillespie County Historical Society occupies the building today.
Northern Methodist Church
On May 5, 1871, under the leadership of Pastor Carl Biehl, the “Eben-Ezer” congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church was organized with 24 charter members. In 1872, a church and parsonage were built. Some years later, the church building was enlarged, a new parsonage purchased, and a dining hall, 22 feet by 50 feet, was constructed.
The following served as pastors: G. Elley, A. Ullrich, C. Pluenneke, J. Ott, O. Riebe, E. E. Draeger, F. W. Pfaeffle, H. Hornburg, and G. Schulze.